Everything you ever wanted to know about macOS 10.13 High Sierra, the latest Apple OS update
You must have heard about the new update announced by Apple to MacOS at the WWDC in June, and are curious to know more? Well, here it is! Giving you a full gist of what this new update is and how it is going to impact MacOS.
What exactly is MacOS 10 High Sierra?
macOS 10 High Sierra is Apple’s latest version and update of its MacOS desktop OS. Though it may seem like a minor update, Apple has reiterated the important changes it brings to the fundamental feature of its OS, like video, data management and graphics, upon which the future functionalities can be created.
The new features are APFS, HEVC support, VR support, advanced graphics and some impressive improvements to it Apps. Let’s understand more about them.
The current Filing System followed by Apple namely HFS (Hierarchical File System) is pretty old. In its place, we get the new APFS or Apple File System. Under this system, you will be able to access and load your files faster, better security and encryption, rapid file duplication and fewer chances of crashing due to a feature called Metadata copying.
Otherwise known as High-Efficiency Video Coding or H.265, this is the new standard for Video compression that compresses videos 40% better than the current standard of H.264. 4K videos are compressed in a much efficient manner with improved bit streaming. This enables streaming of high-quality videos even when the internet speed is lower as it uses less bandwidth. The video files are much smaller and occupy less storage space in your Mac.
The new Metal 2 framework enables developers to create VR games, and macOS High Sierra supports playing VR games a reality on a Mac. However, you may need a 5K iMac or an iMac Pro along with an added GPU attached via Thunderbolt 3. Epic Games has announced an early access support for VR games on macOS High Sierra for all those who want a peek of the fun to come.
This Metal 2 framework adds other functionalities like Machine Learning, Virtual Reality, and external GPU support so as to better experience various Apps and games. According to Apple, this GPU support over CPU will make loading and processing of files more than 10 times faster.
With High Sierra updates, Apple has made some exciting improvements to its Safari, Photos and Mail Apps, apart from enhancements to FaceTime, Siri, Notes and iCloud.
- Safari – Apple says that Safari has now become the fastest desktop browser in the world, overtaking Google’s Chrome and other browsers. It comes with new features like Autoplay blocking and Intelligent Tracking Prevention. While the former ensures that websites do not play video without your permission, the later stops cookies from tracking your browsing from one site to another.
- Photos – New Pro Level Filters and editing tools, improved Facial recognition, Integration with third party app services, looping live photos, and DSLR-like effects are some of the new features and changes that come with this OS update.
- Mail – The search option in Mail has been fine tuned in this version with the Top Hits feature. Relevant results will come as Top Hits when you do a search in Mail. You can also use Full-Screen Split View mode while composing emails. The improvements in the storage mean that mail messages will take lesser storage space of about 35%.
- FaceTime – With macOS High Sierra, it will be possible to take Live Photos during a FaceTime call, and this will get automatically saved to the Photos App.
- Siri – In High Sierra, Siri gets a more expressive and realistic voice. Siri also can learn your music preferences each time you listen to Apple Music and suggest recommendations.
- Notes – In macOS High Sierra you can pin the notes you use the most to the very top of your list so that it is easy to locate it the next time you need it.
- iCloud – In macOS High Sierra, all your messages, conversations, and attachments will get automatically stored in iCloud, so that they are readily available to you when you log into a new device. Moreover, with iCloud Family Sharing feature, you can invite your family members to share your storage instead of creating separate accounts.
So, when is this available for regular use?
Right now macOS High Sierra is available to the registered developers and the public in a beta1 testing mode. The full release is slated to happen sometime in September-October. And it is going to be free!
Upgrading to macOS High Sierra
Apple has always ensured upgrading to the latest versions to be very easy. On those lines, macOS High Sierra will be compatible with all the Macs that currently run on Sierra, unless and until your Mac was built before 2012.
While macOS High Sierra might not seem to be a drastic improvement on the surface, it does come loaded with a lot of under-the-hood changes as Apple loves to call it. With terrific updates to the core functionalities, it is just a matter of time before you can get your hands on the free and full version.
MacOS App Development
So, for all the companies who are looking to harness the incredible features of macOS High Sierra with a MacOS App Development, get in touch with our macOS experts at Moon Technolabs Pvt. Ltd.
Moon Technolabs is one of the best Mac App Development Company in India and has an unrivalled experience and expertise in developing projects in MacOS to clients all over the world.
For all your MacOS App Development needs, drop a line or give a call to us at Moon Technolabs at +1(951)801 5251 or a drop a mail at email@example.com, today!