Last Updated: 20 Jun 2017 | 5 min read
Apple released first beta versions for iOS 11, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, watchOS 4 and TVOS 11 for testing to the developers at the WWDC 2017 developer conference. Let’s dig in to find how fresh the features are and how they will elate the user experience.
The developer preview of brand-new iOS 11 is available now and first public beta will arrive later this month.
The definitive version of the OS will be released later this year on:
- iPhone 5S and later
- all iPad Air and iPad Pro models,
- iPad 5th generation,
- iPad mini 2 and later, and
- iPod touch 6th generation devices.
The latest version of iOS brings:
- Updated Message app
- A redesigned app drawer, along with the ability to synchronize messages across multiple devices via iCloud
- Apple Pay enabling person to person payments.
- All these transactions will be authenticated via Touch ID.
The Other Notable Releases
- Siri gets some elegant improvements with the iOS 11 release like the use of deep learning technologies with better natural-sounding voice output.
- Camera has been updated for recording videos in the HEVC format which means less storage consumption, similar technique is utilized for clicking life moments.
- Control Center includes all the options in one window.All this can be expanded with the 3D Touch feature.
- Additionally, apps such as Apple Maps, Home Kit and Apple Music were given a face lift with contemporary design and features.
- Oh yes! the App Store also has a better interface now.
iPhone app development companies must be well prepared to bring out apps that are up to mark with all these latest updates from the smartphone giant.
Read Also: Top 10 Biggest Keynote Announcements at Google IO 2017
MacOS High Sierra (MacOS 10.13)
- An updated version of macOS is now available for desktops and laptops.
- The OS, dubbed macOS High Sierra is provided with more enhanced and powerful Safari browser including a built-in functionality that blocks video and audio auto play.
- For user privacy, an Intelligent Tracking Prevention feature has been provided that uses machine learning and prevents ads from tracking users.
- Full Screen split view for better multitasking by using 35% less disk space.
- A boosted UI that gets a new viewing grid for the latest photos app along with an improved face recognition feature and new improved editing options.
- MacOS has ditched HFS file system and High Sierra has the 64-bit Apple File System (APFS). With native encryption, this latest OS is much safer to use.
All these latest features mean that every macOS app development company will be brimming to get their hands on it. We see stiff competition in the app development market.
- The platform comes up with some new watch faces.
- The OS now has fast and smoother access to the company’s virtual assistant.
- Machine learning studies user data to adapt to the wearer’s daily activities.
- The watch face updates dynamically after the wearer raises the wrist.
- An access for controlling home app functionalities is also present now.
- The OS also has an up-to-date Activity app that provides more personalized updates with a new monthly challenges feature.
- New animations that celebrate health goals achievement.
- The OS has been upgraded with gym equipment support too.
- An updated Music app that auto syncs music based users’ music taste.
- A new album art that allows users to just tap and play the music playlist.
Read Also: How To Stay On-course in the Wearable App Development Market
Kaleidoscope watch face:
A fascinating design with multiple styles based on color patterns of a selected image.
Toy Story watch Face includes three sub watch faces
- Jesse, and
- Buzz Lightyear
The tvOS 11 operating system is available to developers for testing purposes.
What a developer should do?
If you are a registered developer you can
- Download tvOS 11 by connecting any Apple TV to a computer
- Use a USB-C cable for establishing the connection
- Install the beta software from iTunes.
As per the Apple’s release notes the tvOS 11 has:
- An automatic light/dark appearance switching
- Home screen synchronizing options
- Latest background modes and notification support
- Focus API improvements
- Custom sound support
- Network-based pairing and development support, and
- Improvements to Mobile Device Management
So, what does it mean?
Many more public versions are lined up, because all these beta version updates have been released to see how they will perform with the masses.
We think this is the right time for every digital product development organization that is into macOS, iPhone and iOS app development, to get ready for the rumble that these updates will create. The competition just became trendier!