Completed 12 Years
Last Updated: 02 Dec 2020 | 8 min read
As a developer of .NET supporting enterprise applications, you should know how .NET 5 will affect your current enterprise app. Even if you’re not a developer, reading this write-up will be beneficial to you, especially if you are the owner of a business. Here you’ll learn everything new about Microsoft .NET 5 and the features it brings to the table.
It was in 2019 when Microsoft announced that it would release Microsoft .NET 5 soon. Then, on 10th November 2020, it arrived and became the next significant platform after .NET Framework 4.8.
The .NET Framework has been around for seventeen years, and every MVC asp.net development company has been using it. These companies created innumerable mobile applications by utilizing this framework and all the systems brought forth by Microsoft. If you consider the functionality of all these apps, then you’ll realize how crucial the .NET Framework really is! However, the mass of this platform diminished the scope of innovation. Additionally, it hasn’t been long since the arrival of .NET Core. At that time, it was like a sibling to the previous version. Microsoft designed it primarily to gain the attention of Mac and Linux users. A recent announcement concerning .NET Core 3 mentioned that the creators wish to fill the gap between itself and the newest version. In doing so, it aims to empower Entity Framework Six and Windows Form as well as WPF.
Apart from these two versions of .NET, Microsoft made another huge announcement regarding the release of .NET 5, which, according to the tech giant, will dictate the future of .NET. The same announcement further included information about an open-source, cross-platform version of .NET 5. It will substitute the .NET Core, Xamarin, and .NET Framework with .NET 5. It will unify everything. This feature is precisely what caught the eyes of the best MVC asp.net development company.
Microsoft .NET 5 will receive the best of everything from .NET Framework, .NET Core, Mono, and Xamarin. As a result, it will provide APIs, libraries, and runtime to you or your development partners for the creation of apps for the web, Windows, mobile, and IoT devices. The ultimate purpose of .NET 5 is to bestow power upon the amalgamated .NET Client Application projects for the production of deliverables for different platforms, including Legacy Windows, UXIX, Linux, Droid, iOS, Macintosh, and HTML5.
When Microsoft announced the release of this new platform, the providers of asp dot net application development services realized that they are going to skip .NET 4. After all, it was the only way to avoid confusion with the various versions of the .NET Framework. Other versions of .NET, such as .NET 6, .NET 7 and .NET 8 will also enter the field after .NET5. However, it goes without saying that Microsoft will need more time to make such a move.
Moving ahead with .NET Core
.NET 5 will provide everything that you expect from .NET Core, and it will make things suitable for mobile and IoT platform development. With all these new updates, developers won’t have to choose between .NET Core, .NET Framework, and Mono because .NET 5 will allow them to work without worrying about selecting platforms for their applications. In taking the first step in that direction, .NET 5 ensures that it will incorporate the best functionalities of .NET Core.
Here are the functionalities that .NET 5 will provide you.
Apart from the ones mentioned here, .NET 5 will introduce three significant support systems for developers.
(1) The availability of Java interoperability across all platforms.
(2) It will support Swift and Objective-C interoperability across various OSs.
(3) It will facilitate CoreFX support to .NET static compilation.
A few other features
Just like every other new release, Microsoft is attempting to resolve all glitches that currently affect .NET 5. However, once they manage to fix everything, it will bring new APIs, runtime capabilities, desktop development, language-related aspects, etc.
(1) .NET 5 for developing desktop solutions: Microsoft fetched the desktop packs for Windows that will offer support to the apps for desktop devices. Of course, these devices must work on Windows only. The new platform will bring the most noteworthy libraries and functionalities with itself. The four desktop platforms include WPF, UWP, Windows Forms, and Xamarin. The moving of Windows desktop apps into .NET won’t alter the architecture of .NET Core. Instead, it will add a few extra benefits, such as Core Runtime. It also includes performance enhancement of the APIs, apart from enhancing the flexibility of deployment.
(2) .NET 5 for mobile development projects: Providers of asp dot net application development services will be able to create hybrid or cross-platform applications for iOS, Android, WatchOS, tvQS, and macOS platforms via Xamarin. The runtime of Mono supports Xamarin and provides a collection of different programming languages, libraries, and tools for developers. XAML is the preferred language for UI programming and C# for backend tasks via Xamarin.
(3) Using .NET 5 for the development of Cloud projects: App development using Azure will be among the best features that .NET 5 will offer. After the arrival of the newest instalment, developers will be able to work on software development projects using Azure. Development using Azure Cloud incorporates a combo of frameworks and tools. These include ASP.NET, DevOps, Web API, docker containers, serverless computing, microservices, etc.
(4) .NET 5 for the creation of games: The 2019’s version of Visual Studio will combine with .NET 5 to form a crucial section of gaming. Developers will use it to create games for various platforms, including Xbox, mobile devices, and others.
(5) Language and Runtime: It will offer developers a chance to choose between runtimes, such as Mono and CoreCLR. The latter is the runtime for .NET Core, and developers use it for desktops powered by Windows, cloud applications, ML, and IoT. Mono, on the other hand, is a cross-platform system that’s perfect for .NET implementation. Developers can use it instead of .NET frameworks as it’s an excellent open-source substitute. Both CoreCLR and Mono include several similarities and a few valuable and unique capabilities.
These things will make the latest .NET the most massive version ever released by Microsoft. Of course, many mysteries are lingering about the way how developers will do their work on .NET 5. Then again, Microsoft keeps its eyes on the feedback that it gets against the updates it suggests and brings to the market. They will surely pave the path for developers all over the world.
Their team did a great job of managing the timeline and communicating their progress throughout the project. They were accommodating in the face of unexpected changes and delivered all key features. The updated app made it easier to track budgets and improved the finance department’s efficiency.
The new site is high functioning and has experienced an increase in users. The Moon Technolabs Pvt Ltd team’s availability made the collaboration effortless and productive. They fostered a professional environment and produced a final product with no major problems.
The team delivered top-tier apps that garnered positive feedback from users and had minimal issues. They excelled at project management and were committed to surpassing expectations.
The enhanced system eliminated delays, streamlined reporting processes, and simplified every department’s workflow. Moon Technolabs Pvt Ltd communicated clearly and delivered each task on time. Their prompt, thorough approach kept the project on track.
It was a great experience to working with Moon Technolabs.We have worked on serveral Android App development Projects over the past year and are currently working on the iOS version of one of them. The team is very professional and responsive. In particular, they follow good project management practices,assigning ,me to a Project Manager, Who has been the single…
WThe client was pleased with the quality of final product, which was delivered on time. Moon Technolabs was responsive throughout the project.
The client has been happy with both the web design and marketing services provided. The time difference and slight language barrier have been a modest hindrance to collaboration, but have not impacted overall satisfaction.
Moon Technolabs have helped me in designing & developing this attractive iPad/iPhone Coloring book app and have supported me from scratch till uploading the app on App stores. I am highly recommending them for the best company in iPhone and iPad app.
The project timeline and estimates were on point and the end client was ultimately happy with the product.
The team often went further than was expected and needed.
The updated app has yet to launch, but Moon Technolabs Pvt Ltd met every milestone ahead of time without sacrificing quality. Customers can expect an experienced team that provides speedy service and prompt responses to questions or issues. Their timeliness despite time zone differences stood out.